December 22, 2006

Interesting light on Gay Marriage and Children

I merely flag this up as providing some interesting evidence that there is almost no distinction between a heterosexual couple and a gay couple for bringing up kids. The research looks impressive and the final words must go to the American Psychological Association which said that

Not a single study has found children to be disadvantaged in any significant respect relative to children of heterosexual parents


As I say this is not an area of expertise for me so I'm unwilling to make much comment upon it but it is at least an interesting statement and it ties in with what I have to say my own prejudice tells me with regard to the idea that two parents of the same sex would be as capable as two parents of different sexes to bring up kids.

2 comments:

Ian said...

It tends to reinforce my own non-expert belief, as well. Unfortunately, the Salon article doesn't differentiate between married and unmarried couples in a long-term relationship, which I'm finding to be the most interesting aspect of the debate Morag has been hosting, in that I personally don't see any significant distinction between the two. I have to say, it doesn't seem to be a view widely shared by the other discussants...

Gracchi said...

Ian yes that would be interesting- I'm often interested in the statistics comparing cohabitating couples to gay couples as they are both comparable in not have a legal arrangement. I haven't seen Morag's discussion, I'll have to go and spy out the territory.