January 14, 2007

A crazy thought- but did Iris Murdoch read Agatha Christie?

This is almost certainly wrong- but Iris Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea has always been a favourite of mine and still is- I was quite tired this evening and thought I'd drop into an Agatha Christie I'd never read called Three Act Tragedy, and just in the first few pages have encountered an actor called Charles who is a bit of a self publicist and retires to the coast away from his theatre life- none of his friends can beleive it and there the mystery starts. In a sense that's quite a similar person to the Charles of Murdoch's novel who also retires to the coast, whose friends don't beleive he can leave the lights of London behind him and is also an ex actor. There may be nothing in it and no doubt I'll wake tommorrow and dismiss this as the murmurings of mind enfeebled by a lot of tea and natural law- but there might be a connection of motif- no doubt the novels are very different but its interesting to find two people with the same name, similar backgrounds and with similar scenarios (retirement to the sea) in the begginings of two novels from roughly the same period. Just worthless wondering- almost certainly wrong but did Iris Murdoch read Agatha Christie along with Sartre? I might be barking up the wrong tree and definitely correct me- but hey if anyone does know if there is a connection or has a view or just wants to shout at me about my ignorance- well that's what the comments are for.

4 comments:

Ellee said...

I wouldn't dare comment on anything academic or literary in your expert presence for fear of barking up the wrong tree. Have you received any info yet about Cambridge WordFest? Did you go along to meet any writers last year? I'm signed up and look forward to going along again.

Gracchi said...

This is one I don't know anything about- I'm just putting two and two together and making five.

james higham said...

I think all writers are, to a point, derivative and Agatha Christie herself recycled characters, e.g. Haydock the doctor and Haydock the German traitor. It's part and parcel of it.

Gracchi said...

All too true James its just a fun coincedence.