February 27, 2007

Denham again

As I suggested earlier, Denham is an interesting character. I've just been informed that not only does he look like a credible candidate- but that he also turned down a post in the cabinet in the last reshuffle- meaning that he isn't associated with the last Blair cabinet- unlike most of the other candidates. If true it would definitely mean that Denham has been distancing himself from the government whilst remaining scrupulously loyal on the surface- with what purpose who knows?

4 comments:

Harry Barnes said...

Does not "scrupulously loyal on the surface" tell you something? Why would someone in an alternative centre-left position do this when no longer subject to the restraints of collective responsibility ?

Gracchi said...

Well he has criticised the government from the left occasionally I can think of a couple of criminal justice things and the education bills.

I suppose what I am getting at is that he is a left Blairite a bit like Robin Cook. I don't think he is a man of the left- but I don't see someone out there with the stature to run from the left and get the support of the party and the unions. If you do that's interesting- McDonnell seems to be a more plausible candidate than Meacher to my mind.

james higham said...

Pretty clear, as I'm sure you're aware, Tiberius.

Anonymous said...

Oh don't be a spoilsport. Meacher would be much more fun. Ahhh...I can see it now...

Hope you are perky

B