July 09, 2007

Discouragement

When I began blogging I didn't hope rightly for a vast audience and I wasn't disappointed. But I have found myself surrounded by some excellent people- and those I'm referring to know exactly who they are- one of the things about blogging is that you tend to travel around and visit friends who are good and interesting thinkers as well. Plenty of blogs merit my daily attention- though I apologise if I don't comment as much as I should- and it may be invisible due to a lack of bloglog and the fact that curiously the more I visit a Blog, I begin to remember its address and tend to type it in rather than go from the link here.

As I said blogging is a social activity and many of my friends in the blogosphere have become electronically part of the furniture- to see that one of them is becoming discouraged with the whole activity is sad. James Hamilton is one of my favourite bloggers- I have encouraged friends offline to read him and read him as much as I can- as a football blogger he is only matched by people like Jonathan Wilson (an example of whose writing is here). The popularity of Mr Wilson's articles is boosted by his presence on the Guardian but they still make me wonder whether there is an audience for intelligent football comment- the question is finding the way of advertising your blog. James is though discouraged by the lack of audience for what he is writing- its incredibly sad that his thoughts seem to be tending to giving up the blog (its also an indictment of the blogging audience that his blog doesn't get enoguh readers). If you have never visited it I really encourage you to go across and have a look around- he is one of the most impressive bloggers on the net- much more impressive than many of the more mainstream ones- and even if you are not interested in football, his informed social commentary whereby he discusses how football evolved in the UK is worth reading. Let's hope he gets encouraged and continues!

1 comments:

James Hamilton said...

This is very kind of you - I think I might have given the wrong impression, however: the point I was making about the absence of an audience was meant to reflect on the kind of sporting culture the UK possesses (it's in contrast to Holland's, which Simon Kuper attempted to import in the '90s without too much success).

A big audience for a blog brings its own problems. My previous eponymous blog received c. 2-10,000 hits per day depending upon events, and this had a deleterious effect on my practice and thus career. MTMG has had a lot of people, relatively speaking, kindly promoting it, including the Beeb, and the audience it has attracted therefore does have something to say.

But my ego isn't offended by that, very much the opposite: small and very select. I might stop the blog later this year, depending on other things, but not right now.