September 23, 2007

First political memory

The Thunderdragon has tagged me for my first political memory.

My first memory is one of those Kennedy moments that everyone who was alive remembers which is the resignation of Margerat Thatcher. I remember coming home with my mother, from the supermarket I think, as a kid, and we drove in to our front drive way. I can still remember it really vividly and a neighbour came out and said to my Mum 'she's gone'. There wasn't any question of who 'she' was. I don't remember having any particular view on whether the fact that 'she' had gone was good or bad or discussing it with my parents, but I just remember the moment and getting out of the car. Its a very vivid memory but accompanied by almost nothing in the way of context.

Anyway I think this is quite an interesting meme and in service of that, I'm going to tag, Matt, Vino, Mike Rowley, Welshcakes, Ian Appleby, James Higham, Ashok, Lord Nazh and Yascha. So guys what was your first political memory- (Oh and by the way anyone else who wants to take this up- please do, its quite a cool meme and any of the regular commenters, Pappusrif and Edmund this means you for instance who want to leave a memory in the comments please do as well!)

10 comments:

Ashok said...

Tiananmen Square.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Mine is much earlier than that! The final resignation of Winston Churchill as PM! We had a newagent's shop in Bristol and I was standing behind the counter [which was much taller than me ] looking at his picture on the front of a newspaper. And I remember my Mum explaining it to me and saying the Queen was upset but "glad he was going to have a rest". I was a toddler but I knew who he was - there were still pictures and statuettes of him everywhere. When I learnt about Thatcher resigning I was on my way home from work on the bus and saw it on the newspaper placards. As soon as I got through my front door the phone went and it was my neighbour, saying, "Come and have a celebratory sherry". And I remember watching her in the Commons and , although I hated her, thinking, "If I'd just had my back stabbed by all my former cronies I'd be crying: I couldn't stand up and make a speech like that". The other image from that day that stays with me is Kinnock's face - he just couldn't stop grinning. I remember THE Kennedy moment, too. Interesting meme, Gracchi.

Lord Higham- Murray said...

Tomorrow morning for this one, Tiberius - too many posts this evening already. Thanks.

edmund said...

mine is labour winning in 87 don't remmeber having a view- indeed i may even vaguely recall thinking it was bad labour had lost and my mother being shocked by that ( I'd picked it up from nannies)

I also remember lawsons resignion and thiking it woudln amount to much.

Thatcher i heard on the way back from the swimming pool on the school coach radio i remmber being shocked and somewhat disappoined- i'd taken the rheteroic about staying on seriously

edmund said...

obvious i menat toeis winning in 87!

i also remmber Bush winning in 88 and being very vaguely pleased-though I can't remember why perhpas because I'd heard of him.

mutleythedog said...

Blimey! You are a lot younger than I thought. I was at St Thomas's Hospital that night - my son had been born there on 13th November. Directly on the other side of the Thames with a window looking across at Westminster..

My first 'political memory' is of my mother sticking up 'Save The Grammar Schools' posters.. about 1972??

Gracchi said...

Cool- best thing about the blogosphere is its so intergenerational!

Ian Appleby said...

Oh, the happy memories you have triggered. And I use the latter word advisedly.

James Hamilton said...

It's hard to separate them out - lots come at once, c. 1974-6. I can clearly remember Harold Wilson's resignation..

Colin Campbell said...

I can't really remember one specific event, but I can remember my Mum's reaction to the failed mission to rescue the American hostages in Iran.

She just stood transfixed as Radio Four tried to dissect the implications of it all.

I also have vivid memories of my Grandmothers concern about Ronald Reagan being elected. She was a very practical woman and was concerned that he was going to have the world blown up. Too much stress for somebody over 60 with a lot of grandchildren.