September 26, 2007

Renewed assault on the Blogosphere

Richard Brunton is someone I know through Bits of News. I'd noticed that he hadn't posted for a bit on Bits, and I wondered about it- the reason seems though to have been much more serious than Richard's upcoming wedding (for which congratulations from me), Richard has been threatened by soliciters and by a large company, all of this because of comments left on his blog. His full story, which in my view is tantamount to harrassment by the company and their lawyers, who reached for their writs before doing anything else is here. Rightly terrified, Richard hasn't disclosed the names of the company or their soliciters. The case is fascinating because in the opinion of a lawyer that Richard consulted he had a defence, but it was not worth him taking the company to court because of the disparity of income between him and the company. I don't know anything about the case concerned but it sounds like Richard has been bullied directly by this company, bullied by the fact that they have the wealth and organisation to completely overrun him despite the fact he may well have been in the right.

It fits with the behaviour of Schillings, the firm involved with Tim Ireland in the past, I don't know if that is the firm involved. If Richard's account is true, then it demonstrates that there are plenty of trigger happy law firms out there and that the law on blogging especially commenting isn't yet clear.

11 comments:

Lord Higham- Murray said...

I'll publicize this later today. It is another attempt at setting legal precedent and appears to be a cynical assault on the blogosphere.

Ashok said...

Yeah, I'll thumbs up this and the last post on blogging censorship at StumbleUpon. This is getting ridiculous, and at this rate, we're all going to get sued for copyright infringement since we used words from the dictionary.

Sean Jeating said...

Good morning. Just dropped by via James.
Seems certain people are wildly determined to close what they have realized as a most promising (market-) gap.
As Samuel Johnson stated: "A man's respect for law and order exists in precise relationship to the size of his paycheck."

Ordovicius said...

These tossers need a good seeing to.

Matt said...

Thanks for the reference.

Very interesting.

Richard Brunton said...

Hey there. Thanks for link and talking about the issue, and thanks for the congratulations!

Yes the lack of posting is down to this whole legal pressure and also all the work I do on Filmstalker.

After this legal hassle finished I found I was struggling with finding something to write about that I had self confidence in.

However I've found my voice again, I've started writing, and I'm still mad about this.

Backing down went against every fibre of my body, and yet I had to, despite the lack of knowledge and ability on the part of those lawyers, I couldn't risk being a UK test case.

Oh, and it's all true. Those letters are word for word and that's all as happened.

Chris Paul said...

Remodelled Uzi as the art lover Alisher Creosotemanov.

Trooper Thompson said...

This is sickening. Unfortunately the Law in this country only seems to work for the rich and powerful.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gracchi said...

Anonymous just named the company he thinks it is. I have removed the comment just in case it could be libellous. I don't want particularly to have lawyers after me and given I don't know the law I decided to err on the side of caution. I apologise to Anonymous but I think its probably best if we keep the discussion non-specific.

uk employment law solicitors said...

This is really a brilliant post .. i was just stunned to read such a different post . i really like that