September 14, 2007

Self Righteousness

Ruthie triumphs again with this post about her encounter with some pro-life activists. Ruthie is actually herself pro life- but realises that this is a complicated issue- its not an easy one. Furthermore she has taken out of Christianity what I think is its most powerful lesson- that judgement of others is for God to wield not human beings. That complacency is the true enemy of Christ. I am not a Christian but the doctrine of not casting the first stone and of understanding before condemning is one of the noblest achievements of mankind in any era. That doctrine completely undermines what either those pro-life activists heedlessly condemning others to hell were doing or indeed what other groups (say those who presumed guilt in the Duke rape case and even today criticise for a crime that was never committed) do. If we judge others and use harsh rhetoric on the provision that we never make mistakes, then out of our own mouths let us be condemned. By the judgements and sentences we pass, we should judge ourselves.

This blog occasionally, indeed often can, stray into selfrighteousness- for that I want to offer an apology. Its something that I ought to say more often- that this blog makes endless mistakes- I hope though it doesn't extend to the smug complacency of the anti-abortion activists of the Duke Professors that Ruthie and the Economist rightly have attacked this week.

3 comments:

Sir James Robison said...

Furthermore she has taken out of Christianity what I think is its most powerful lesson- that judgement of others is for God to wield not human beings. That complacency is the true enemy of Christ.

You might not count yourself a Christian, Tiberius but you get closer to the truth here than many so called Christians.

Lord Nazh© said...

"what either those pro-life activists heedlessly condemning others to hell were doing"

I agree with what Ruthie wrote and did, I also agree with most of your and James comments on it, but that one phrase is out-of-whack.

Pro-lifers do not 'condemn others to hell', they point out that they are condemned to hell. Small difference (and still something that you shouldn't point out, but there are schools of thought about showing people what they are heading to and trying to bring them back).

What they were doing (wrong) was judging others. It would be the same situation with homosexuality. I can (and do) believe it is a sin and it will condemn the practitioner, yet I do not judge them.

Gracchi said...

James thankyou I take that in the spirit it was meant.

MiLord please accept my apologies- I meant what you said- I should have been more accurate- blogger's disease I'm afraid in my case is imprecision of language.