October 12, 2007

The Nobel Peace Prize


Al Gore, the former US Vice President and Presidential nominee from the Democrats, has received the Nobel Peace Prize. Mr Gore is obviously a distinguished public servant for the United States and as American interests often coincide with the interests of the rest of us, for the world. His campaign on Global Warming is one with whose broad outlines I sympathise. But to award him the Peace Prize seems to go too far to me. Global warming could cause conflict, but Mr Gore has not stopped global warming nor moderated it, he has made a film about it which raised awareness of it. Mr Gore has not actually achieved anything politically at all yet, beyond creating a constituency. I don't underrate that acheivement but it should not be the subject of the Nobel. I'm not sure to be honest who this should be awarded to but I don't think it should be awarded just as a demonstration that someone has started a campaign. It should be awarded for achievement not aspiration.

5 comments:

Nick Humfrey said...

My vote, as it was last year is for President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono of Indonesia for the ceasefire in Aceh. Before the tsunami there had been civil war there for 30 years. But, thanks largely to SBY as he's known, now there is a lasting peace. No one in Indonesia is quite sure why in a series of years where they can't find a peacekeeper he's been ignored. I think it's partly that people are still suspicious of Indonesia's human right record (not perfect still in Papua but unrecognisable from ten years ago) and simply no one thinks about the fourth biggest country in the world.

Lord Nazh© said...

There are millions of people that deserve this award more than this blowhard.

The burmese monks would be a good one, heck anyone that actually did something for peace would be better.

Ashok said...

I don't see why I didn't get the Nobel Peace Prize.

I helped host a party earlier this year where some of us got drunk while watching "This is Spinal Tap." We had 40's that cost $1 each.

You know what would have happened if that party didn't happen? I swear, it happened later that night, that one of us was talking about "destroying the ozone layer"

:O

I don't know if that shocks you, but it shocked me. If we hadn't had been so thoroughly amused by Christopher Guest, guess what? There would be no planet for Al Gore to save.

I demand my Nobel Prize.

Lord Nazh© said...

ashok: you have a better argument that Al does

Courtney Hamilton said...

"heck anyone that actually did something for peace would be better."

I'm in total agreement with that...

Indeed, anyone who had anything to do with conflict would be fine by me, but Al Gore? There is something seriously wrong in the Nobel Prize Committee room - they need to get out of their air-conditioned offices more often...