March 07, 2008

Am I the only person in the world who thinks this...

but Barack Obama's celebrity supporters don't impress me at all. I'd be more impressed by people who know something about politics telling me about their opinions than by Jessica Alba and Ryan Phillipe. I'm sure Ms Alba and Mr Phillipe are intelligent, kind people but they have no recognised expertise in politics, there is no reason why I should presume that they know anything more than my next door neighbour. Politics is not a feel good enterprise, its a proffession which requires emense skill and intelligence. I have no doubt that Barack Obama could make a President of the United States: he has the intelligence and charisma to do the job. But I'd prefer to hear from the Samantha Powers of the world than the Jessica Albas, I'd prefer to hear from people with a cogent argument rather than people telling me that yes I can or citing vague and perhaps unacheivable aspirations for where the United States will be in eight years time. Afterall the business of politics is the art of the possible, to misquote Rab Butler (a man who really did know what he was talking about), the business of celebrity is the art of creating an illusion of glamour- the two proffessions may seem to have a lot in common, but at the cutting edge of them, they don't.

5 comments:

Dave Cole said...

One might also say that 'you campaign in poetry but you govern in prose'.

I agree with you, for what it's worth, but the aim of the exercise for the candidates is to be elected and not necessarily to raise the level of political discourse.

Anonymous said...

Although I agree with you Gracchi, like Dave I think you have to recognise the aim of the video. People often don't vote on policy but on how the candidates make them feel. The other video that Will.I.Iam made for Obama

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY&feature=related

is aiming even more strongly for that feel good factor.

Edd said...

Perhaps not the best example of an alternative!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/07/barackobama.hillaryclinton

Gracchi said...

You don't mean its another case of me being too serious and underrating electoral impact!

Bretwalda Edwin-Higham said...

Now is that entirely fair? She has wonderful thighs, Jessica.