March 21, 2008

Blogging audiences

Iain Dale is entirely right to say that blogging is not really a number's game. He is right for all the reasons he mentions. The one area I would suggest adding to Dale's account is the blog as purely a personal thing- this blog is undisciplined and eclectic partly because it just contains what I'm interested in on a particular day, could be Roman history, could be a 21st century Iranian film. You can market your blog obviously by being more specific but I think it depends what you are aiming for whilst blogging. Iain has been, though coyly he doesn't say this quite, a very successful blogger partly for his chatty style. Others adopt different styles and personas but there is no one right way to blog, you blog because you want to and ultimately its an expression of your personality. A blog which was marketted to a specific degree and turned away from your personality would not be one that was enjoyable to write (I have sometimes written articles because I had to and often those are the worst articles on here in my opinion). Iain is absolutely right and in some ways the more we worry about audiences, the less like blogs we become, the more constrained we are by our audiences.

9 comments:

tpe said...

Well, I happen to like you just the way you are, Gracchi - so don't be changing your (wide-ranging) style any time soon.

I agree, there are no set rules out here in space (although I do value good manners). As I write for a living, I am more than happy to embrace the freedom offered by blogging. Grammar, coherence, articulacy, sense...I throw them all happily out of the permanently open window and write just whatever I please, whenever I feel like doing so. (Mainly, it should fairly be noted, in my own comment sections - when they're open - or, more often, in the comment sections in the blogs of others.)

I usually turn away from blogs and bloggers if they are too obviously trying to promote themselves, because it feels like they are looking past their readers and addressing someone or something else (like when novels are so obviously written with a view to being turned into films - it shows.) I don't deny them the right to do this - it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do - it's just that I like to know that the person writing is doing so without worrying about how their words might be received. I think I'd prefer to leave the sales-chasing to the mainstream media. A personal preference, nothing more, and by no means a rule set in stone.

Kind regards etc....

TPE

John said...

You say you blog on things you are interested in on that particular day, this is good - the more variety of subjects the better.

Anonymous said...

And unlike a journalist, you don't have to bother learning how to use the apostrophe...

Gracchi said...

TPE I completely agree with you about all of that- John likewise.

Anonymous- yeah my grammar is atrocious, sorry mate- if you want strict grammatical correctness don't come here. I write this because its fun- my PhD is where I strive to get the grammar right.

Jeremy Jacobs said...

I going from wide ranging to specific on both sites.

Bretwalda Edwin-Higham said...

I'm going to insert this in my current post.

Gracchi said...

Cheers James- a link is always nice particularly from your illustrious self :D

Dave Cole said...

I feel the need to point out that just because a blog doesn't have many visitors doesn't mean it is a "bad" blog, just because a blog does have many visitors doesn't mean it is a "good" blog.

Gracchi said...

Dave I'm sorry if I didn't make that clearer- but yes I agree and I think it follows from my argument that blogging is best when it reflects the personality of the blogger.