April 27, 2009

The Canadian Liberal Leader and the British Philosopher

Michael Ignattief's elevation to Canadian Liberal leader reminded me of this interview with the philosopher Sir Isaiah Berlin. Ignatieff has written interesting and important studies- particularly of eighteenth century philosophy and penal reform, not to mention a biography of Isaiah Berlin himself. Berlin though is the man revealed in these interviews- and the revelations show you only a percentage of the interest of his essays and thought. These interviews introduced me to the history of ideas when I first saw them in 1997. Berlin remains one of my most important influences- it is a while since I saw these interviews but I feel it is appropriate to post as much as I could find of them on this blog in full.






1 comments:

James Hamilton said...

Imagine what he was like as a child!