November 04, 2009

Signs of a Mature Blogging Market

Often whenever you write something critical of the modern British blogosphere, some half witted drone will pop up to ask you why you don't yourself correct the problem. Part of the reason why the current features of the British Blogosphere will endure though is because it is no longer easy just to take up your typewriter and write something different and get readers. I think that is highlighted by the complete lack of collegiality in blogging- people talk about the blogosphere being social and communitarian, it is not. Rather than ressembling a discussion group in which quiet and respectful conversation is the norm, it ressembles a pub in which a set of West Ham fans in one corner yell abuse at a set of Chelsea fans in the other. Importance in the Blogosphere can largely be measured by ability to get linked to by a major media source or by an established blogger- normally someone as with Iain Dale or Guido Fawkes who has ties and influence on the major media and the media has deformed what blogging is about, the concentration on the narrow story as opposed to the analytical piece.

One of the best things about the blogosphere when I got involved at the beggining was the carnival. Blog carnivals basically shift around several websites, and link to submitted articles on a set of topics- I've submitted articles to carnivals on Asia, sexual violence, history etc etc etc. I'm sure there are others. Apparantly over the last year, carnivals though have begun to die or rather have been dying at an increasing rate. There are reasons for that, but I think that it would be incredibly sad if they did die out: I haven't been involved recently in maintaining any as much as I should have been, but I do think its important that such things exist and continue to maintain a way for new voices to be heard and new blogs to appear. I've found several of the best articles and blogs I've read on the net, including one today, through reading through carnivals- and if that route of new material finding audiences dies, then I fear that the real barrier to entry in blogging which is the barrier of finding a significant audience (significant in the eyes of that blogger- anything from 3-3,000,000) will grow bigger.

2 comments:

James Higham said...

People seem to be tied up in RL stuff these days and the loss of joi de vivre, brought on by this government's policies, of course, has also affected the desire to blog.

Gracchi said...

Possibly.

Its not a lack of enthusiasm for blogging so much as blogging becoming a mature market I'm interested in James. Ultimately there may be tons of people setting up new blogs- but that doesn't stop the main blogs growing stale and uninteresting as in my opinion they have. Nor does it retard the point that I really am making that its more difficult to get the audience in for other blogs and to find other blogs than it was in the early days.

I still think my blogroll is desperately bad- there are a couple of good blogs around but there aren't many.